Florida Medical Waste Disposal
Sharps Medical Waste Services provides waste disposal services to medical waste generators throughout the state of Florida. Our cost-effective, regulatory compliant services offer medical waste generators convenient alternatives for the safe handling and disposal of biohazardous materials and medical waste. Customers can arrange for on-site pickup or use our USPS-authorized mailback program.
Our Florida medical waste disposal customers include physician and dental offices, hospitals, surgery centers, veterinarians, home health agencies, pathology labs, long-term care facilities, and other small (SQGS) to mid-size (MQGS) quantity generators throughout Florida. Cities and metro areas we serve include:
Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Naples, Pensacola, Florida City, Sarasota, Fort Lauderdale, Destin, Key West, Fort Myers, Clearwater, Daytona Beach, Gainesville, West Palm Beach, St. Petersburg, St. Augustine, Boca Raton, Miami Beach, Kissimmee, Lakeland, Cape Coral, Panama City, Ocala, and Bradenton.
Florida Medical Waste Regulations Are Complex – We Can Help
When you're running a busy medical practice, veterinary hospital, or other facility, it's hard enough just to keep up with staffing and patient care. How do you find the time to monitor regulatory changes, train staff, create safety plans, and ensure that your facility complies with all state and federal regulations? Sharps Medical Waste Services can help. We work with you to design a complete medical waste disposal program that complies with federal and Florida RMW handling and disposal regulations.
Contact us if you need:
- Superior, personal customer service
- Transparent and affordable pricing
- Access to our staff of medical waste regulatory experts
- DOT and OSHA-required training available online, 24/7
- Immediate access to an online regulatory resource that offers up-to-date compliance information
- A secure, online tracking system that meets the cradle-to-grave requirements for regulated wastes
- Assurance that "30-days once full" storage requirements are always met
- DOT-compliant transport of waste and detailed logs/shipping of papers
- Flexible options for disposal: pickup or mailback
Medical Waste Management in Florida - State & Federal Regulations
In Florida, medical waste management, transport, and disposal is a highly regulated industry. Each waste generator must follow both state and federal regulations in order to remain compliant and ensure the safety of employees and the public.
Several federal agencies oversee various aspects of regulated medical waste (RMW) management. For example:
- The DEA regulates pharmaceutical waste.
- The Department of Transportation regulates the transportation of RMW transported by our direct pickup service.
- The USPS regulates the transport of RMW via our mailback disposal systems.
- OSHA monitors employee safety for personnel whose duties may expose them to bloodborne pathogens.
Within Florida, the Florida Department of Health and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regulate all offices and healthcare facilities that generate regulated medical waste, transport it, and dispose of it.
How the State of Florida Defines Regulated Medical and Other Chemotherapeutic Waste
Section 381.0098, Florida Statutes and 64E-16, Florida Administrative Code (FAC)(60kb PDF) define and regulate medical waste.
In the state of Florida, this comprises:
- Human tissues (or pathological wastes)
- Human body fluids (OPIM – cerebrospinal fluid, lymph, semen, vaginal secretions, synovial, pleural, peritoneal, pericardial, and amniotic fluids) and blood waste
- Animal waste suspected or known to be infected with highly virulent or zoonotic diseases
- Human waste (feces, vomitus, urine, sputum, saliva, sweat, teras) only if visibly contaminated with blood.
- Used sharps
- Chemotherapeutic waste not classified as hazardous waste
- Non-absorbent, disposable devices that have been contaminated with blood or OPIM
Florida Regulators are among some of the most active of all the states. To assist our customers we have created an online regulatory resource, the Hub, where we have all of the necessary regulatory documents and links for the state of Florida that will assist you in remaining compliant with all Florida RMW regulations such as the following:
- Red Bag Liner Certificate
- Biomedical Waste Operating Plans – one for pickup and one for mailback – prefilled with required medical waste transporter and treatment facility information
- Florida specific biomedical waste training link
- Copies of Sharps Medical Waste Services' required permits
All of these items are available to you online, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
Additionally, our proprietary online tracking system, SharpsTracer, lets you easily access and print the date of receipt, weight of waste received, and proof of destruction. The information is securely stored online for five years with no added charge to you.
Why Choose Sharps Medical Waste Services for Your Medical Waste Management Needs?
When you select a Florida medical waste management company, it's important to choose a company that understands Florida regulations for managing regulated medical waste cradle-to-grave.
Sharps Medical Waste Services has over two decades' experience managing the safe disposal, transportation, and processing of medical wastes. Our affordable services have no hidden fees or surcharges, and we provide everything necessary to package, label, and track your waste. You can be confident that there are no hidden charges or fees and know that your medical waste will be managed according to all state and federal guidelines.